Tuesday, October 10, 2006

And the Story Continues

Soldier has been doing well this week. Is still insistent that he is going to continue his Army service. He even knows the date that they are next likely to deploy again. Today -- after multiple calls himself and a few by his dad and I -- someone from his command came to see him. It seems that Soldier will be discharged back to his unit some time in the next few days (the bottleneck of soldiers having to move from the private facility to the Army Hospital is being bypassed for those soldiers the physicians believe are well enough). Happily, the Sgt. under suspicion of wrongdoing is no longer in the unit.
I'm not particularly happy about Soldier staying in the Army and returning to his Company. I can't believe that the doctor is going to pronounce him fit for duty. I can't believe his command believes he is fit for duty (Yes, he sounds good -- better than he has in many, many months but he still has anger management problems on occasion -- but it took him longer than 6 weeks to get to the point that required hospitalization for PTSD and it must take far longer to heal...) and I understand that command has very little leeway to challenge the physician's pronouncement. Soldier is still on a number of medications and I can't believe that they will allow him to deploy taking all those meds. I have been assured that he will continue his counseling... I wonder if there is a difference between "fit for duty" and "fit to deploy"? (I can only hope.) ok, so it would be a severe blow to Soldier... a double-edged sword.. but I know which side of the blade I prefer.
Mostly, I wish I had a recording of the many conversations from 6, 5, 4 and 3 weeks ago when all he wanted was to get away from all things Army....
and the story continues...

4 Comments:

Blogger eli9875 said...

Hello,

I understand that you have not posted a new entry on your blog in some time. So I hope this finds you well.

I am a graduate student and I am doing some preliminary research on PTSD. Specificially, I want to study the armed forces and what measures are taken before deployments. Esssentially, I could develop a pre-screening instrument for PTSD.

So, if possible please email me back and we can discuss more. Your insights are valuable.

Thanks,
Eli

30/4/08 10:25  
Blogger Gabrina said...

I just found your blog and I'm hoping you update soon or let us know what happened. I'm writing a story about a woman dealing with her army husband's death following PTSD.

I really want to know what has happened two years later.

17/6/08 21:18  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Soldier's mom, my name is Robert Keddie, COO of Pure Life in Norwalk, CT. We have something that might help Soldier out. We are selling Gabatrol at a discount for the military but I woul dlike to send you a free bottle, if Soldier is willing to try it out. You can go here to check it out http://ptsd.gabatrol.com. Email us and let us know and we will get it out asap. We also have Eden which makes people sleep without waking up once. Everything is all natural and safe. My email is admin@purelifedistributors.com.

27/8/08 22:07  
Blogger Family Of a Vet said...

Hi,

I found your blog through an article on SpouseBuzz. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and struggles with your son's PTSD. My hubby (also an OIF Veteran) also has PTSD. There are too few resources available to those of us who love Veterans.

Some other OIF/OEF Veteran spouses and I have started a website (www.FamilyOfaVet.com) dedicated to helping people find real-world info about surviving after combat. If you're interested in contributing, we'd love to have you as part of the team! I think your experience with PTSD from a "mom" perspective would be incredibly helpful!!

Thanks,
Brannan Vines
Proud Wife of an OIF Veteran;
Passionate advocate for Veterans & their loved ones;
Founder of FamilyOfaVet.com - helping Veterans & their families survive & thrive after combat!

30/9/08 14:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home